Planning your special day involves so many decisions – choosing the flowers, the cake, the dresses, the photographer, and so much more. But, one of the most important decisions you’ll make is the event location. Beyond just outside or inside, what important questions should you ask to find the best location for you?
Lucky for you, we’ve compiled a list of some of those important questions to ask potential venues for the big day.
Availability and Accommodations
- What dates are available? (If your date is not flexible, make sure to start looking at locations early!)
- How many people can the space accommodate? How many people can the space seat?
- Is the location handicap accessible?
- How many restrooms are available? (If you have over 100 people, look for a location with enough restrooms.)
- Is there parking onsite or nearby? Do you offer valet parking? Do you have a shuttle service?
- Are overnight accommodations available? Is there a discount for booking multiple rooms? What overnight accommodations are nearby?
- Can the ceremony and reception be held at this location? Is there an extra charge for holding the ceremony here? How much time will we have for the rehearsal?
- Is there a changing area for the bride and bridesmaids?
- Are there outdoor and indoor mingling areas? If it rains, is there a space we can move to?
- Can your location accommodate a live band or DJ? Is there any restriction on how long music can be played?
- How much time will I have for setup? Take-down? Rehearsal?
- Can we setup the day before? Are there any decoration restrictions? Can I have real candles?
- How long will I have the space? Is there a fee for staying late? Are there minimum and maximum rental times?
- When can my vendors setup? When can deliveries be made?
- How much is the deposit? When is the deposit due?
- What is the payment plan for the full bill?
- Is there a cancellation fee? What’s your cancellation policy?
Food and Catering
- Do you offer an in-house caterer, do I have to choose from a preferred vendor list, or can I hire my own caterer?
- If I hire my own caterer, do you have a kitchen they can access?
- What is the food cost per person? The beverage cost per person? Service charge?
- Can we do a food tasting before finalizing the menu? Are there any associated costs or fees for doing so?
- Are tables, chairs, linens, and dinnerware (silverware, glassware, and plates) provided, or will I have to rent them or get them through my caterer?
- Can I bring in an outside cake, or must I use the onsite baker? Do you provide utensils to cut the cake?
- Can I bring my own champagne, wine, and beer? Is there an associated corkage fee? Can I bring other alcohol?
- Can you provide and serve alcohol? Are you licensed?
- What are the associated consumption and bar staff costs? Is there a bar minimum? What is the average bar tab for an event of this size?
- Do you offer an onsite coordinator? Is there an extra fee? Will the coordinator be there the day of the event?
- Do you offer any assistance with setup, décor, and take down?
- Do you offer a coat check service, or is there an area that can be used for coat check?
- Does the site have security guards on staff, or do I need to hire my own security guards?
Regardless of the location you do choose, get everything in writing. And don’t forget to read the fine print to ensure that you will be able to do what the vendor promised, whether that’s setting up the day before or playing music until the wee hours of the morning.
About Roof Garden
The Roof Garden is a charming, vintage wedding venue and sophisticated corporate/private event facility located in the heart of The Strand overlooking Galveston’s Historic National Landmark District. Our elegant, signature Galveston architecture creates a warm, inviting atmosphere your guests are sure to enjoy. Learn more about our venue and view facility photos to understand the true essence of the Roof Garden.