Things have changed. Obviously! It’s the 21st century! A groom no longer expects a dowry from his bride’s father! Nor does the bride’s family need to mortgage their home to pay for the nuptials. So, in modern weddings, what expenses belong to whom? Many couples are splitting the costs, plus or minus their parents’ help, but in this wedding world, there are still monetary traditions, which is the subject of today’s post. Shall we begin?
The bride or her parents remain responsible for:
- Church or synagogue, sexton, organist, etc.
- Wedding gown, veil, accessories, and trousseau, including lingerie and clothes for the all-important and much-anticipated honeymoon.
- Reception, bouquets, and corsages for bridesmaids and flower girls.
- All wedding photos and video.
- Engagement parties (unless there is more than one, in which event, the second—or more—are shared equally).
- Bride plans and hosts bridesmaids’ luncheon.
- Reception – bride and family pay for all professional services, including food and decorations.
- Groom’s ring.
- Invitations, announcements, and wedding programs.
- Transportation of wedding to and from ceremony and reception.
The groom or his family are to pay:
- Groom’s outfit.
- Bride’s bouquet and going-away corsage, boutonnieres for men, and corsages for mothers and grandmothers.
- Complete honeymoon.
- The rehearsal dinner.
- Bachelors’ dinner (best man and ushers host bachelor party).
- For the reception, the DJ or band and liquor, wine, etc. (if any).
- Both of the bride’s rings.
- Marriage license and officiant’s fee.
It still seems a bit weighted in favor of the bride’s purse strings but remember there is no longer a dowry! Also, these are guidelines and not set in stone. Perhaps, you and your future husband would like to pay for the wedding, keeping in mind the cost of today’s expense. The average wedding is about $26,444. Let Roof Garden help you with that cost. We can be of service for the ceremony and the reception. Our professional staff will make your dreams come true—on the historic Strand in Galveston—only minutes from the whispering Gulf waters.
Searching for the perfect venue for your reception and/or ceremony, look no further. The Roof Garden on the historic Strand in Galveston, minutes away from the whispering waves of the Gulf, stands ready and able to make your dreams come true. Give us a call and allow us to explain or visit and let us show you why.
About Roof Garden
The Roof Garden is a charming, vintage wedding venue and sophisticated corporate/private event facility located in the heart of The Strand overlooking Galveston’s Historic National Landmark District. Our elegant, signature Galveston architecture creates a warm, inviting atmosphere your guests are sure to enjoy. Learn more about our venue and view facility photos to understand the true essence of the Roof Garden.