The wedding reception is one of the most expensive, most important pieces of the wedding day. It is longer than the ceremony, involves the most people, and holds the most memory-making opportunities of the day. We all know that food brings people together like nothing else. With this in mind, the caterer you choose for your wedding reception is one of the most important decisions you’ll make and will have a large and direct impact on the cost of the reception. To make your tough decision a little easier, here are 15 questions to be sure you ask your wedding caterer.
First, be sure they are licensed and insured. If you’re serving alcohol, ask if they also have a liquor license.
- Ask for references from previous clients and be sure to call them. Also call wedding planners and other wedding venues to ensure that this caterer works well with others.
- What is the average number of people they are used to serving?
- What is the largest party they’ve served?
- How many menu options are available for your size of wedding party?
- Does the caterer supply linens, tables, chairs, tents and wait staff?
- Can sample menu items be tasted prior to choosing the menu?
- Is the food served buffet style, on plates, or do you have a choice?
- Does the caterer also do cakes?
- Will the food be prepared on-site, or carried in?
- how many other events will they be catering that week? That day?
- Will they prepare specialty item or honor special requests?
- Is everything prepared fresh?
- Are all of the fees included in the quote? What are some examples of other fees?
- How will cleanup be handled and what is the time frame?
The price per plate is often the determining factor in choosing a caterer, but make sure you’re comparing apples to apples as far as services, amenities, and quality of food. When comparing costs, be sure to include the cost of renting tables and chairs, or a baker, or a bar attendant if these item are included in one caterer’s quote but not another’s. Also, if the venue you’re using has a caterer’s kitchen, tables, linens, and some of the other items the caterer normally would provide, this can greatly reduce your cost.
Keep in mind that much of this work is done for you at some venues and destination wedding providers. If you’re looking for a venue for your wedding and reception, Roof Garden in Galveston has all you need but the guests. A fully equipped caterer’s kitchen, tables, chairs, linens, and more. We are experienced at providing excellent service and a fabulous, historic place to mark your special day. Southern warmth and charm combined with the Gulf Coast’s fabulous views and sunsets make the perfect setting for your perfect day.
About Roof Garden
The Roof Garden is a charming, vintage wedding venue and sophisticated corporate/private event facility located in the heart of The Strand overlooking Galveston’s Historic National Landmark District. Our elegant, signature Galveston architecture creates a warm, inviting atmosphere your guests are sure to enjoy. Learn more about our venue and view facility photos to understand the true essence of the Roof Garden.